A place for Strong, Positive, Caring Wargamers.

This blog is for strong, positive, caring wargamers who like good looking models, crazy tactics and playing awesome games.

Monday 17 May 2010

Wargamer Interview: Gnarlhorn Plod - The Sunhammer

Photobucket
About Gnarlhorn Plod:
Plod is an awesome player who fight using the Circle Orboros. His battle plans are elaborate and baroque as the coils of the serpent that his army features. Having played Hordes for a short amount of time his fighting style is quick surgical strikes backed up with overwhelming force in the form of the dangerous heavy beasts of Circle. The last time I played him, I completely shat myself when his Pureblood Warpwolf just used Ghostly to waltz past my troops and put a POW 14 Spray on Irusk's shocked face. Here's the interview:

Gringo: What made you play Hordes? What other game systems do you play?
Plod: I play WFB, 40k, Mordheim, Invasion. Pretty much all GW stuff. Last year, I hit a real wall with GW though; their complete dedication to whoring their unbelievable sculptors and writers finally got too much for me. I'd heard PP was committed to making consistent, balanced and well-written games so I gave them a try.

Gringo: What Factions do you play and why?
Plod: Circle Orboros. I wasn't into the background fluff at first, I was just looking for a playstyle I would enjoy. My main 40k army is Dark Eldar, and a fast, tricksy, teleporting, alpha-striking bunch of savages who fall down in a stiff breeze sounded fun!

Gringo: Which faction do you most dislike fighting against? What style of play is the most annoying to fight against?
Plod: Khador and you! No, kidding. Khador is definitely my most hated faction right now, because they can turn up with everything from a Karchev Jack Wall to Winterguard Infantry Horde and anything in between. At least with Cryx you know their annoying stuff is coming and you can plan for it.

Gringo: Who is your favourite warlock and why?
Plod: Mohsar. His spell list is such a box of tricks, he's got board control, direct damage, (de)buff, and a spell for getting out of (or into) trouble. FURY 8 and Maltreatment means he can cast whatever he wants. Oh, and he's got an uber spray as well. Shame about the feat versus Warmachine, but there you go...

Gringo: What's your favourite combo and why?
Plod: My Feral and ... anything important in your army. Anything.

Actually, I thought about this again, and although the Feral is brutal, the funniest combo was Gorax + Primal + Curse of Shadows, who raped Typhon in one activation.

Gringo: What is your favourite warbeast and why?
Plod: See above dude. That Feral is just bent. Don't let anyone from PP know I said that, there's still time for them to change him (an animus would be nice on him, but not at the expense of going to 10 Points).

Gringo: You've only been playing Hordes for a few months now and you're fucking amazing player. What do you find translates across from other systems when playing?
Plod: Thanks V! I don't know if I'm that great, but I'm trying hard. I'm not sure what translates across from Warhammer. What I'm really concentrating on is planning out a whole game round at a time; trying to foresee what the other guy is gonna do and planning out my moves to be ready for it. I hope that this will mean I control my army better as well as seeing the feat turn coming. (God damn Strakhov. No, really.)

Gringo: When playing Hordes for the first time, what did you find the most difficult to get used to?
Plod: It was the way stuff chains together to create just insane threat ranges or abilities. Looking at a statline and seeing SPD 4, then watching that model charge something 20" from where it was at the beginning of the turn is a sobering experience. (yeah, Strakhov again.)

Gringo: You've got a family and work long hours, what does your other half think about wargaming?
Plod: She knows I need to have some time out of the house; I could be in the pub with some other woman, but when I'm wargaming she knows there won't be any women anywhere nearby, so she's happy with it.

Gringo: Your taste in Sci-Fi literature is fucking impeccable, how do you rate the fluff in wargames?
Plod: I'm a huge fan of 40k background (cf. what I said above about talented writers / games devs being whored out by GW). The background material isn't the first thing I gravitate to when I get a new game / army book / whatever (obviously, I usually go straight for the army list and try to break it!) I do think it adds so much to the game long-term though. I haven't really got into the background stuff for Hordes yet - I've got high hopes though, I love the gnarly steam-punk feel. Perdido Street Station by China Mieville is one of the best books ever published in English, and there are a lot of similarities in feel. It's fairies and pixies that fight, fuck and sometimes just bug each other without taking the plotline forward. Just because that's what people are like, even when they're insect-headed daemons. It's grown up fantasy.

Plod's an awesome player and his cool attitude makes playing him a real treat. Just watch out for his Feral Warpwolf! Never have I played someone so sharp and so chilled at the same time. Must be the joys of playing Circle Orboros. See you, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment